Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Guerrilla Filmmaking

I have a huge amount of respect for Guerrilla filmmaking. Mainly because before they begin to make the movie the filmmakers understand what they are getting into. There is a curtain thrill that they must get out of making these types of movies and a bigger relief when it goes well. The movie Escape From Tomorrow land was the movie that I thought had the biggest "Guerrilla" aesthetic. It was obvious that the people around them were not actors and real people and the movie as a whole felt very forced. Although I felt this way I still LOVED this movie and thought it was funny and had a strong message. On the other hand the movie Monsters that we watched I felt if I just watched that movie without knowing any background on it I don't think I would have know that it was shot in an illegal manner. Maybe because of the amount of VFX and how much I bought the world in the movie shadowed a lot of the minor flaws in the movie. Also I know that monsters had a lot larger of a budget than Escape from Tomorrow did so maybe that helped a little. 


I thought it was cool how much the environment affected how the camera was placed. I was very noticeable in both Monsters and Escape from tomorrow. In Monsters when they were in the jungle the camera was almost always handheld probably because they had no where to place the sticks. In escape from tomorrow the only time you got to see the camera on a tripod was in the hotel room or when he was in the room after he got taken. This was interesting because you could tell where they were and were not allowed to shoot which, because the places they were not allowed to shoot were usually done differently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment